[LRflex] Re: Lens Advice

  • From: Doug Herr <wildlightphoto@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, "lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2009 22:09:40 -0500 (EST)

Aram Langhans wrote:

>So, maybe I should look at the pre-IF version? Or are there trade-off's for
>this lens, too?

The pre-IF version is an exceptionally sharp lens with excellent color quality.
 Its drawbacks are much slower and stiffer focussing, a longer minimum focus
distance, a tendency toward harsh bokeh, and pricing based on its scarcity.
It's the second-sharpest 300mm-ish lens I've had the pleasure to use, even
after the TSA did it's thing to the front element, but the handling has me
wishing it had IF along with its exceptional image quality.  The ED-IF is an
excellent lens and most people would be delighted with its performance.  My
problem is that I've been spoiled by the 280mm f/4 APO and the pre-IF 300mm
f/4.5 ED.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com