[LRflex] Re: Leicanon exposure problems, now Digilux3

  • From: "Bille Xavier F." <hot_billexf@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 20:43:36 +0200

May I add my 0.02 Camembert here?

The Digilux is underexposing when it is stopped down.

In fact, it depends on the lens, when a summicron or summilux, the rear element is big enough to let the camera operates till f8.

With a Tamron SP, F5.6 is the expected max

with a 24 Elmarit, it depends on the scene. but due to its small rear element, f4 to f5.6 is the limit.

The Digi 3 underexpose "à mort" if the above rule of thumb is not followed. Spot metering is working best when used with experience, Leica R7 behavior....

Until there is a way to return the aperture plus a master mind calculation, nothing will work properly.

In fact, a small PIC microprocessor (even a NEC 4 bits, those you find in the talking/singing aniversary cards could do) installed between the 4/3 and the ROM is the solution. Expensive? Bah, a mere 5 Euros for the Electronics + the salary of a soft Man for 6 months (er, it's more complex, count in the cocroaches of the quality dep't, the sales, the tools&methods, the comisionning, aftersale, etc, etc).

FWIW!

---------------------------------
Xavier F. BILLE
Maisons-Alfort - France.

From: "Aram Langhans" <leica_r8@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [LRflex] Re: Leicanon exposure problems
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2007 18:42:23 -0700

Aperture priority or manual mode. Either one, same results. I also went back and used my old adaptor w/o focus confirmation and the results were the same. Just did another test using flash. The flash exposures were all very consistant until I stopped down too much for the flash to provide enough light. They then got dark. My problem without the flash is overexposure as I stop down. The meter in either aperture priority or manual is overcompensating for the stopped down lens and the more I stop it down the more it overcompensates with the shutter speed.

I am ready to return the camera. Does anyone know if the Olympus 4/3 cameras have this problem? Is there an focus confirmation for the Olympus camera yet? I don't see one advertised.

From: David Young <telyt@xxxxxxxxx>
To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2007 09:16:30 -0700

At 29/07/2007, you wrote:
I finally got a focus confirmation adaptor and an eyepiece magnifier for my Rebel XTi and have been quite disappointed with its exposure performance using Leica R lenses. I just conducted a more scientific test and this is what I found. Using the 35-70/4 zoom, it meters dead on with the lens at f4. If I stop down to f-5.6 if is 1/2 stop over exposed. If I stop down to f-8 it is 1 stop over exposed. This is consistent with what I found out yesterday using the 50 when I was noticing some of my shots were over exposed and other were dead on. I am using either manual mode or aperture priority metering mode. Both do the same thing, obviously, since AE mode is just duplicating what the meter says in manual mode.

I don't remember this problem when I would use the school's original Rebel.

Has anyone seen this?  Is there a solution?  (yeah, DMR or wait for R10).

Aram

Good Sunday Mornin', to you, Aram!

Hmmmm... I'm using the FC adapters with a 30D and find the exposures quite consistent. I use Aperture Priority mode only ... which (along with manual) are the only modes known to work with the adapters. Are you using AP or AE (Auto Exposure) mode?