[LRFlex] Re: LeicaR/Canon 20D gallery?

  • From: "Douglas M. Sharp" <DouglasMSharp@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2004 01:07:56 +0100

quite impressive Douglas... !! Did you get the 20D recently? Have you shot any straight bw images with it? Are you using only leica R galss? Steve

See above for Steve's message, then I can answer in one.

Hello Steve and Dave,
I bought it on Friday last week.
I've been using a 300D (D-Rebel) since summer, I bought it because my R7 went temporarily on the blink while on holiday in the UK, turned out to be a circuitry problem in the motor drive which bu--ered up the operation of the body.
First off, I was already very impressed with the performance of the 300D in all sorts of situations, but particularly in low light. It's simple to use and delivers pretty reliable metering results, never more than 3/4 of a stop off even when shooting big black steam engines against a light background. Three things did not impress me at all :
1) It's much too light ! Even with the battery handgrip attached
2) It takes too long to wake up after you switch it on
3) Very sensitive to extraneous light entering through the ocular and screwing up the exposure.
Otherwise it is a brilliant entry level DSLR and has the immense advantage that you can adapt just about any lens to the EOS mount (with limitations)which clinched it for me when considering the Nikon D70.

So, having read a lot of reviews of the 20D and having borrowed one for a day or too from my local dealer I decided to take the plunge. Points 1) and 2) are no longer a problem,point 3) was just something I personally didn't notice with film cameras.
First impressions :
The 20D feels good and solid, its got around 200grammes of extra weight (magnesium chassis) and it's perfectly distributed.
It's very ergonomic, my fingers always end up where the main controls are.
It's fast too when using AF lenses.
The finish is good enough that Leica lenses look at home on it.

To get back to specific questions :
The viewfinder is bright and clear on both DSLRs, what is missing is the "snap"
into focus I'm used to from Leica SL, SL2 and R bodies. I've found you can get by very well with Telephoto lenses but with WA at wide open apertures it gets a bit difficult to ascertain whether the shot is focussed exactly where you want it.
I'm going to try and find some kind of magnifier to see if this problem can be reduced. I would really prefer ground glass or a split image focussing aid.
Although for the type of photography I generally do the exactness of the point of focus is hardly ever critical. For trains and landscapes I need depth.
So, now the boring bit - a list of the glass I've tried so far,all of them on the EOS 300D, some of them on the 20D.

Adapters first :
Novoflex Leica-R to EOS, well made but a bit of a bind getting it off some lenses.
HAMA M42 to EOS (they also make a reasonably priced Canon FD to EOS adapter)
HAMA T2 to EOS
Zörkendorfer Contax/Yashica to EOS
(sorry Stephen Gandy but I was at the Photokina and picked these up at a discount, which unfortunately undercut your prices).

Wide angles :
Leica-R Super Angulon 21/4
Leica-R Elmarit 28/2.8
Paragon 28/2.8 (C/Y)
Leica-R Summicron 35/2
Pentacon 30/3.5 (M42)

Standard Lenses
Zeiss 50/1.7 (C/Y)
Leica R Summicron 50/2

Macro lenses
Yashica 55/2.8 Macro (C/Y) a brilliant lens!!)
Leica Macro-Elmarit 100/4

Telephoto
Pentax 135/2.5 (M42)
Zeiss 135/2.8 (C/Y)
Tamron Adaptall 2 200/3.5
Tele-Lumax 105/2.4 (T2-unknown maker but an excellent lens)
Leica Telyt-R 250/4
Novoflex T-Noflexar 400/5.6 (the one with pistol grip focussing)
Russian (Maksutov?) 500/8 mirror lens (T2)
Sigma 600/8 (M42) mirror lens with excellent performance if you can stand the rings in the O.O.F parts of the picture.

AF-Zoom lenses
Tamron 28-200mm
Voigtländer Ultron 28-105mm this lens is not as good as it should be to carry the name of Voigtländer.
Canon EF-S 18-55mm dedicated to DSLRs - this lens is 10 times better than it feels to be.
Canon EF28-135 Image stabilised - this is absolutely fantastic, particularly when you consider that not only the focal length is affected by the crop factor of 1.6, the camera shake factor is multiplied to the same extent.

When I can afford it, the next lens will have to be something around 12mm or so.

There have been absolutely no problems with any of these lenses which could have been attributed to the camera body, in fact a couple of them surprised me with results I had never expected.
If anyone is planning to use M42 lenses then make sure they have the possibilty
of manually stopping down the aperture, the adapters don't operate or push in the stopping pin.

Enough technical guff, no Steve I didn't try B/W with it yet.I'm planning to get out at the weekend and do some at the local lake or by the canal, hope I get some nice clouds.
BTW the new Canon software, once you've understood how to use it, is fast and turned out to be quite intuitive. And for those who are using PS Elements 3.0
both cameras are supported - RAW format CRW and CR2.
That's enough now, it's just after 1AM here, as soon as I get more into the operation of the 20D I'll post some more.
cheers
Douglas

Dave Saalsaa wrote:
Hi Douglas,
Very impressive. How you do you rate the focusing ability using the manual focus Leica lenses with the 20D?

Dave
----- Original Message ----- From: "Douglas M. Sharp" <DouglasMSharp@xxxxxxxxxxxx>