[LRFlex] LeicaR/Canon 20D Digital Noise

  • From: "Douglas M. Sharp" <DouglasMSharp@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2004 14:33:49 +0100

Hello all,
A test series with a Leica Macro-Elmarit 100/4 on the 20D, Winter Jasmin at 80cm
f11, cloudy/overcast at mid-day. There may be some slight variations in brightness due to thickness of cloud cover, but I think these are negligible.
Shot in CR2 RAW format 600dpi. Mid high contrast, +1 stop exposure compensation for the off white background applied in EOS viewer utility and saved / converted to TIFF , Photoshop elements 3.0 was used for auto contrast and unsharp mask with settings 6.0,5.0,0, cropped and converted to jpegs at 96dpi after processing

Starting with a full frame shot at 100 ASA equivalent

http://gallery.leica-users.org/TESTS/100ASA_0010_RT8_copy

the shots following this are crops of the center of the image at
100ASA,200ASA,400ASA,800ASA,1600ASA and 3200ASA.

As far as I can see there is hardly any increase in digital noise over the whole range of settings. A slight difference can be seen on the twig at the bottom right of the crop.
I'm considering repeating the test with a subject containing something with pronounced shadows, this may show the noise (if there is any) somewhat better.
I was surprised that there seems to be no appreciable loss in sharpness either.

Douglas

   www.horizon.bc.ca/~dnr/lrflex.htm