[LRflex] Re: Leica statement re M8 IR barrier filter and WB

  • From: telyt@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2006 22:06:16 -0800

Quoting "Dr. Puritz" <drpuritz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Thanks Bill.  Very interesting to follow the discussion from so many very
> accomplished Leica photographers.
>
> I have passed the link over to the MUG list.  Tina Manley, a wonderful
> photographer and an even better person, posted some of her early M8
> photos.....and....you guessed it....magenta color.  Others on the MUG have
> commented on some yellow banding.
>
> Problems for the M8.  Exactly what is NOT needed as Leica tries to push
> ahead and survive. Leica will develop some kind of fix, but one wonders
> "what they knew, and when they knew it".  The possible need to encode lenses
>
> and use filters has many very riled up.  I have an M8 on order, and like
> many, I am wondering.
>
> Elliot

Hi Elliot!

I dont' want to sound like an apologist for Leica, but the early DMR firmware
also had problems with magenta faces, and eratic WB... in fact these problems
were much worse than with the early M8's, for Leica have learned much from
thier DMR experience.

Personally, I believe that these problems stem from the extended sensitivity
into the infra-red range that is part of the makeup of both the M8 and the
DMR. And, it is extended sensitivity which as made the WB and related problmes
harder to solve, than for firms like Canon or Nikon, which which place
stronger IR filters in thier cameras.

OTOH, I also believe that it is this extended sensitivity that helps determine
the "look and feel" of Leica digital photographs.

As you say, "Leica will develop some kind of fix".  Certainly, with the DMR,
each new firmware update has made a big difference.  With the current version
(v1.2) the magenta faces are gone, and the white balance is much more
reliable... though still a bit eratic, at times.  I understand that V1.3 (now
in testing and due out before Christmas) makes considerable improvement again.

As for 'what they knew, and when'... well, I have no knowledge,  But, look at
from their standpoint. Historically, Leica missed just about every deadline
for introducing new cameras for the last 30 years. (The DMR was nearly 2 years
late!) And they have been resoundly chastised for it.

So... if you were in their shoes - even if you felt of a problem which you
could cure in, say, 6 months... are you better off taking the flack for
something which occurs infrequently, but which definitely does occur, or are
you better off taking the flack for a 6 to 7 month delay in introducing the
camera.

Then, throw in their financial position, realize that such a delay could cause
the firm to fail, and then answer the question again.

My CANON 20D went through several udates whilst I had it, and I understand
from other 20D owners I know, that there have been a couple since that time.
And Canon is a company with a long history in digital cameras! The problem is
that users invariably use a product in ways that the designers and testers
never though were possible. Then they find out these ways are not only
possible, but popular!

Whether folks cancel their R8 orders because of such things is entirely their
choice. But such things plague every digital camera. I'm glad they did not
prevent me from buying the DMR... and yes, I knew of the DMR's problems before
I bought.  For, despite it's foibles, the only digital camera I've ever found
which makes photographs as stunning as the DMR, is the M8!  And the M8, to be
honest, is a lot simpler to use!

Cheers!

David (on the road again) Young.