[LRflex] Re: Leica statement re M8 IR barrier filter and WB

  • From: telyt@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2006 23:54:47 -0800

Quoting William Abbott <wbabbott3@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

> All-
>
> I draw your attention to this note regarding the M8 IR barrier filter
> and WB in the Leica Camera User Forum:
>
> http://www.leica-camera-user.com/digital-forum/8937-official-leica-
> statements.html
>
> As ever,
>
> Bill

Hi Bill!

The M8 is quite sensitive to IR... but then, so is the DM-R.  When I had
the "loaner" M8 in early September, I made a series of shots, in both colour
and B&W modes, with the M8 and DMR side by side.  When I get home, I'll post
some of them for your evaluation.

This IR sensitivity seems to make no effect on the colours in normal shots,
except, perhaps, to make a more accurate colour in deep purples and some
blacks.

This **may**, however, explain some of the DMR-s early problems with WB,
though this is getting better with each generation of firmware.  With V1.2
it's getting really good, and the coming V1.3 should be better still.

Cheers!

David (on the road) Young