[LRflex] Re: Leica - new report this morning

  • From: "mcnaught@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <mcnaught@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 07:55:19 -0500

Original Message:
-----------------
From: Douglas Sharp douglas=2Esharp@gmx=2Ede
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 09:47:46 +0100
To: lug@leica-users=2Eorg, leicareflex@freelists=2Eorg, lug@leica-users=2E=
org
Subject: [LRflex] Leica - new report this morning

who cares anymore=3F I've bought a Zeiss lens 21mm=2E If you're over ten y=
ears
of age,=20
you will not survive Leica" s rebirth;=20
Good morning everyone,
The local paper has an article on the business page about what Herr=20
Spichting has been saying about the future of Leica=2E
Just a quick-and-dirty translation of the main points=2E

The headline is "Leica will be making a profit in 2007"
sub-head "Staff reduction and digital technologies: The camera=20
manufacturer is planning a radical renewal"

Spichting: " Our most important target  has changed from short-term=20
survival to medium and long-term successful repositioning"

Spichting declined to comment on how many jobs are in danger, but=20
mentioned that discussions are being held with the workers=20
representative councel=2E
Investor protection representatives demanded that Leica should=20
concentrate on correcting the errors of the past=2E
Leica didn't wake up to the realities of digital photography (directly=20
translated : they slept through it) and were running a long way behind=20
the market (and not catching up)=2E
 Spichting admitted: "I must note that, in the past, Leica did not make=20=

sensible use of all the chances offered by digital technologies"

Leica will now be strengthening their market position with new digital=20
products=2E Strategic partnerships with other companies will be reinforced=
=20
and expanded=2E
A new advertising campaign will underline the distinctive features of=20
the brand "Leica"=2E Emphasis will also be laid on the "Sport Optics"=20
division (binoculars)=2E

Leica will be creating an "employment and qualification group" (My=20
definition: this is part of the social net to help relocate redundant=20
employees, since the 80s this has been a part of most redundancy=20
packages - the sequence runs: redundancy warning, discussions with the=20
workers council, agreement on severance payments (based on years of=20
employment, age, marital status, number of children etc=2E) and then=20
seminars for outsourcing, re-education for other jobs, how to write job=20=

applications,and everything else involved with becoming unemployed -=20
except giving them new jobs - I've been through it all nearly 3 years=20
ago, the severance money was good, but the rest is a load of time=20
consuming rubbish which is very profitable for the outsourcers who run it)=
=2E

Leica is expecting to reach an agreement with the workers reps some time=20=

in December (funny, they always do it just before Christmas)

Although Leica had a Q1 and Q2  increase in turnover for he current=20
financial year (1st April 2005 to 31st March 2006)Leica is still in the re=
d=2E
Income rose by 6=2E7% to 48M euro, the figures after tax after 6 months=20=

were still minus 4=2E6M euro=2E
Leica employs 996 staff worldwide, 400 of these are in Solms=2E
    http://www3=2Etelus=2Enet/~telyt/lrflex=2Ehtm
Archives are at:
    www=2Efreelists=2Eorg/archives/leicareflex/