[LRflex] Re: [Leica] Tank on a table top

  • From: "Bill Lawlor" <wvl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 20:48:39 -0800

"Any suggestions on how to make it more realistic?"

Doug, set it on fire.  The M4 earned nicknames like "Ronson" because the
ammunition in early models had a tendency to catch fire when the tank was
hit. (Ronson manufactured cigarette lighters with the advertising slogan,
"Lights the first time.")  They had a strange engine made from five six
cylinder truck engines arranged radially around a common crankshaft.
Gasoline was the fuel. German tanks used diesel fuel. Later versions were
much improved. In the late 1940's Israel bought a bunch of Shermans and
hot-rodded them. They enhanced the armor, swapped in new more powerfull
engines, and much bigger guns. It was these "Shermans" that foughy in the
Six Day War in 1967.

Bill Lawlor