[LRFlex] Re: Leica SL metering

  • From: "Earthmother" <veggie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 14:43:21 -0400

I've had a Leicaflex SL recalibrated for a silver oxide battery by Sherry
Krauter; this was done during a CLA without additional charge so far as I
can tell. I'm pleased with the modification.

The S625PX cell, being the same size and shape as the original mercury cell,
will fit the battery compartment directly. It is possible to use the far
more readily available SR44/LR44 (and its clones) silver oxide cell as well.
I'm using an O-ring to center the cell in the compartment and a small
metallic spacer to make up for the difference in battery height. A bit of
bother but these smaller cells seem to be sold everywhere, often at one
third the price of the S625PX.

The CRIS adapter seems to work well for some people and not for others. I'm
in the latter category and found the the SL meter, when using the CRIS
adapter, to give readings off by several stops from those obtained with a
new mercury battery . I suspect that the meter current draw may exceed the
voltage regulation capability of the CRIS adapter curcuit - this seems to be
the case with some Nikons as well.

    www.horizon.bc.ca/~dnr/lrflex.htm