[LRflex] Re: Leica S2 in hand

  • From: Steve Barbour <kididdoc@xxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2008 16:18:51 -0700

On Oct 1, 2008, at 3:26 PM, David Young wrote:

At 01/10/2008, you wrote:

On Oct 1, 2008, at 5:01 AM, a aa wrote:

Howard,

Did the Leica designer say whether or not the current R lens mount
would be retained for the R10?

and lets run through the S2 mount ..and how it works for current R
lenses...?

HI Steve!

My understanding is that it does not work with current R glass... the S2 requires new S mount lenses. This is because the sensor is so much larger, the image circle of R glass will not cover it.

oh...

However, I'm given to understand that the R10 will have a mount which is fully compatible with existing R glass including (are you listening, Frank, Mehrdad and others?) auto aperture. The speculation on the additional contacts is to accommodate AF, which I am sure the R10 will have. The R10 is to be fully functional in MF, with all existing R glass. I do expect, however, that most of the new lenses to be produced in R mounts will be AF designs, modelled after the S2 lenses.

OK   thanks,  any idea when that will be?

cheers,

Steve