[LRflex] Re: Leica R Camera Shake by Model

  • From: Douglas Sharp <douglas.sharp@xxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 01:06:49 +0100

Try an SL2Mot with a motor on it - very low centre of gravity and as
steady as a rock and you can use it pretty well while wearing gloves -
only don't take it for long walks with an old version 4/250 on the
front, you'll end up with a list to starboard (or port) after a while.
The R3Mot I find a little top heavy, and I don't like the ergonomics (it
doesn't have any) of the handgrip and release. Of the newer Rs, an R7
with the grip and motor drive is even steady enough for one handed
shooting with shorter focal lengths - or at least I find it fits
perfectly in one of my large size mitts. I handled the R8 when it came
out, and just couldn't get friendly with the shape and size at all.

About the steadiest camera I ever used was a Rollei SL2000F, pity it
never really caught on after its initial problems were sorted out, it
could have been the ultimate system camera, and could have been the
first with a digital back if Rollei hadn't kept on going bust every few
years.
Cheers
Douglas
BTW, Novoflex makes an interestingly shaped shoulder stock for long
lenses that is good for both left and right shoulder (or even against
your chest) use.