[LRflex] Re: Leica R Camera Shake by Model

  • From: "Neil Gould" <neil@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 11:06:45 -0600

> From: Bob Shaw <rsphotoimages@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 12:56:43 -0800
>
> I have to go with Doug on this.
>
> I am accustomerd to the "German Haptics" of Contax RTS and RX and now
> the R8 and R9.

[...]
> But to the point, I do believe that mass helps reduce shake.
>
> On Dec 14, 2006, at 18:52, Douglas Herr wrote:

[...]
> The SL certainly is easier to hold steady at slower speeds than the
> R4, R-E and R6 (and I assume the R7 too).  I'm using the R8 exclusively
> with the DMR and it's much greater mass seems to help reduce camera
> shake.

Just to add a different take on this topic; my first serious 35mm was an
Olympus OM-1, purchased in '74 (my wife still uses that camera). With that
camera, there is no mass if compared with my R5 and any lens, yet camera
shake has not been a major factor for me probably because I don't try
hand-holding any slower than 125th sec. At slower speeds, normal "body
wobble" is problematic for me, and adding weight or mass does nothing to
change that aspect.

I have a lot of admiration for the skill of Doug and others who can take
such sharp photos with long telephotos, as even holding the 180/2.8 steady
is a challenge for me. What an inspiration all of you are!

Happy holidays,

Neil