[LRflex] Leica Q ? I handled one!

  • From: Bille Xavier F. <hot_billexf@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2015 12:50:43 +0200

Good Day Flexers.

Roaming on the Photo boulevard, I ended up La Maison du Leica, while waiting to
collect a cheque for selling stuff a long time ago, I got my paws on the famous
Leica Q type 116!
The lady of the shop had been very gentle and Professional, it was a pleasure.

Well, the Q is a light (for a Leica) machine but with enough dimension to be
held in hands.

The EVF has a very stong refresh rate and it is very well detailed (it can at
3.7 dots!). My experience lasted about 5 minutes and I noted a kind of rainbow
with the side light entering the shop, compared to the Fuji Xe2 or the Olympus
EM1. However, for a gogle wearer as me, the Fuji XT1 offers a better view, the
Leica Q is equivalent to the Fuji xe2 I have, plenty of confort then.

One fun feature is the ability to display a frame for a 35mm or a 50mm. They
have applied the same ergonomy already existing on the M. The difference is the
frame not floating since no prrallax has to be matched, it is thu the Lens.

A mini M, beside with 24MP, framing for 50mm would retain enough pixels (12MP
left?) for a compact! Arzoo!

I found the focus point can be placed outside of the 50mm frame selected, uh?
Strange to me.

The Macro selector is a kind of mechanical ring on the barrel changing the
distance scale markings, it is very cute. Although it seems quite complex for
what it does (macro on such a camera?).
I'm not critisising but my I strongly believe that a lens with a bi-focal 28mm
and 50mm could have been better. The system chosen for the macro mode could be
retained for selecting the focal, it is very ergonomical. The AF/MF lock on the
distance lever is a good system, I like it, keep that too.

Bi-focal lens plus the elctronic framing 35 and 75mm, perfect for a unique
camera with plenty of personnality (for a Leica range finder).
Street (28 & 35) or HCB (Henri's 50 & portrait 75), that would have been
versatile for a compact M. The aperture of the lens could be slower, f3.5 for
28mm and may be f2.8 for the 50mm, or a constant f2.5 each, with a sensor of
24x36mm, it should do nicely.

Still want Macro? A little accessory costing an arm and labelled "Elpro",
screwed on the front of the lens would do!

The price tag is rough to swallow for the Q but the materials ooze luxury.

Have a good week end.
From : Xavier F. BILLE
mail : hot_billexf@xxxxxxxxxxx
Maisons Alfort - France