[LRflex] Leica EOS Adapters

  • From: Alan Siegle <alansiegle@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 09:58:52 -0700 (PDT)

I am a Canon digital camera user and have many of Canon's best lenses, but as
many photographers I am always looking for better glass. Canon doesn't offer
too many very good EOS fixed lenses, so I decided to purchase Leica lenses and
use the Leica/EOS lens adapter.

I now own a 24, 28, 35, 50, 60, 100 APO Macro, 135, and 35-70 lenses.

I have purchases two different low price adapters on eBay.
   One is the DVD from Ukraine $25, it has a larger flange that fits on the
camera allowing easier removal. I only had the 28 MM F 2.8 lens when I tested
it, the lens was a little loose on the adapter (this can be adjusted). I sent
it back to the seller, he said he would replace it.
   I just received one from a seller in California, this one is shown with a
box that is labeled Leica/Canon t is red and white. Many different seller sell
this same adapter, I paid $10 more from this seller, I didn't know it was the
same adapter as I purchased for $17 from another vendor. I tried it with all my
lenses, all my lenses fit with no looseness and it fit the camera fine also.
The only lens that didn't latch was the 50 MM f 2.0, it fit but did not rotate
all the way to latch. I don't know why it happens only with this lens.

I don't know how these will compare or hold up compared  to the Novoflex $200,
CameraQuest $175 or the other adapters in the $85 range. There is one seller on
eBay that has an adapter that claims to be made in Japan (high quality) for $85
or $86. It states it is made from Stainless Steel, some of the $25 adapters say
they are made from bronze with stainless steel or chrome coatings.

With so many choices and a limited budget, it is mind boggling, which one to
choose? I want to buy 5 or 6 so I don't have to remove the lenses from the
adapter all the time.

I would appreciate if you could share your experiences, good or bad with me. I
could buy several of the more expensive adapters, but are they really better or
just a waste of money.

Thanks,

Alan

alansiegle@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

View my photographs by visiting my Homepage at-
http://homepage.mac.com/alansiegle