[LRFlex] Re: Leica DMR

  • From: Bob Palmieri <rpalmier@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2005 14:09:51 -0500

David -

I think you've really nailed it here. 35mm film cameras are, to say the least, a mature technology. For me, it really ain't gonna get no better (SLR-wise) than the SL. Plus, they're affordable.

The DSLR thing is gonna keep progressing; I really felt the need to wait until the "good enough" camera came along at the "low enough" price point before jumping in. And I'll likely get about 20% of what I paid for it when I move up.

By the way, I love your quick feature summary of the 22D.

Bob Palmieri

On Jun 6, 2005, at 1:24 PM, David Young wrote:

Hi Doug!

You are, of course, absolutely correct, that Leica is a premium performance brand.

However, despite the joys of using a superbly crafted camera body, the "essence" of photographic quality is in the glass. Lower cost film cameras do not sport glass of the quality needed for first class photography. That's why we shoot wiht Leitz/Leica lenses.

With my 20D, I bought the 17~85mm f4~5.6 IS-zoom, because it complemented the 80~200/f4 Vario Elmar that I have. While the Canon zoom is reasonably good and quite sharp, it certainly does not have the 'snap', or contrast of the Vario Elmar. The differences are quite noticeable. Moreover, the Canon Zoom flares like crazy at every chance it gets. (Example at: http://www.horizon.bc.ca/~dnr/flare.htm) Certainly, it is a great snapshot lens, but that's about it.

The debate of the DM-R over the 20D (or any other digital slr) is not one of quality, but rather more like an individual's preference for Fuji over Kodak film, or for Kodachrome over Ektachrome. How does the sensor (film) respond to the light?

Advances in digital cameras are being made every year (sometimes more often!) and these advances are often significant. Money spent on an R9 can be amortized over 30, or more, years of picture taking. As film improves, the camera will give better results. Money spent on a digital body (of any brand) must be amortized in no more than 5 years, for by then it will be so obsolete as to be a joke.

For the price of a DM-R today, I can buy a 20D (8.2 mpixels) now, the 22D (10 mpixels and true spot metering) in two years and the 25D (14 mpixels and 1/10,000 sec. shutter speed) in 2009.

By using the more reasonably priced Canon body, with a suitable adapter, you can gain the image quality of Leica glass (Certainly better than all but the best "L" series Canon lenses) with a very decent body. It's now Leica, but it does the job.

This is no different than buying some good Leica lenses and using them with an older, relatively innexpensive SL, rather than buying a brand new R9. ;-)

Never let it be said that I endorsed Canon glass with a Canon digital body of any sort, for top quality photos. But with Leica glass....

And, yes, you CAN see the difference!

Logan Lake, BC
CANADA.

Personal Web-site at: http://www.horizon.bc.ca/~dnr