[LRFlex] Re: [LRFlex]: More DMR shots with downloadable RAW files

  • From: "Peter M.C. Werner" <pwerner@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 21:03:31 +0200

Elliot,

> What is your opinion of the DMR so far?

Enthusing... I had already some experience with both P/S and DLSR (Fuji
S2 Pro, Canon 20D with Leica, Kilfitt and other lenses) plus the
Panasonic FZ20 with the superb Leica 2.8/38-432mm zoom. The DMR is by
far the best of them, vastly superior in the quality of the results and
the amount of post processing (little or none) it demands. Of course,
you lose Auto focus and
TTL flash and you have to carry a lot of weight. However, the balance is
excellent and the combination R9+DMR lies well in your hand. The
viewfinder is very good and a real help in composing and focusing. So is
the LCD color screen that allows you to review the results even in
bright sunlight, something I cannot say of my other digital cameras.

The 20D with the Leica lenses also makes good pictures, but they are
quite different from the DMR: more clinical, colder, neon-like colors.
The DMR colors are less splashy, more pastel-like and the look of the
prints is quite different (like Kodachrome versus Ektachrome or Fuji).
This is of course very personal and I would not know how to quantify it.
I dare not use the expression "Leica glow" and I am sure other people
might prefer the more aggressive Canon look.

Perhaps you might get similar results from the 20D with a lot of post
processing. For me this difference is more important than any slight
difference in sharpness and noise level. Both cameras are good at that,
with a very slight edge to the Leica.

The handling is very easy and intuitive even if you have never used a
DSLR, the learning curve is very flat and you immediately feel at home.
All the important controls are where you expect them to be and not
hidden in a multi-layered menu.

Peter
www.leicaphoto.net

PS: New DMR pictures to be found on