[LRflex] Re: LEICA APO 2X Extender with Zoom?

  • From: David Young <dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 09 Jun 2009 11:33:29 -0700

At 6/9/2009, you wrote:
Can a LEICA APO 2x EXTENDER-R be used with a Leica-R F4/80-200mm lens? I've never seen it mentioned so I assume not, but thought I would ask anyway. Thanks for your time.

Hi Kevin!

I cannot vouch for the APO 2x, but I regularly use an old SL-vintage 2x with my 80~200/f4 and it works great.

Here are a few shots taken with this combination...

http://www.furnfeather.net/Prints/cab_cactus.htm
http://www.furnfeather.net/Prints/cab_saberwing.htm
http://www.furnfeather.net/Prints/cab_snake_bird.htm
http://www.furnfeather.net/Prints/cab_rufous_wren.htm
http://www.furnfeather.net/Prints/nab_prn_waxwing.htm

The APO converter should only be better!

BTW: Because the SL 2x has no aperture control (the Extender-R and APO do), these were all shot at f4.

The somewhat darker VF, with the 2x, does make things a wee bit difficult to focus, but the narrow DOF saves the day. I've had consistently good results with this combination.

Try it!  I think you'll like it!

David Young
Logan Lake, BC

Wildlife Photos: www.furnfeather.net