[LRflex] Katz-Eye focus screen

  • From: "Dave Saalsaa" <dsaalsaa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2006 17:32:04 -0600

Well, I finally got around to installing the Katz-Eye focus screen in my 20D
today.  It all went quite smoothly according to the excellent directions on
thier web site.  Took about 10 minutes from start to finish and all you
really need for tools is a wooden tooth pick and a tweezers.  First
impression is I like it.  Much easier to critically focus using either the
split screen or the micro prism collar.  I Just tried it with my 400mm Telyt
f/6.8 and it works well with the split screen but not the micro prism
collar.  Split screen is not usable with the 400mm and 2X APO  extender
which is not too surprizing.  The Micro prism collar works very well with
all of wide to 90mm lenses and should speed up focusing quite a bit.  Was it
worth the $105 price tag?  My first impression is yes.  I will let you know
more after I have had more chance to use it.  It still is not as bright as
my R7 viewfinder but I wasn't expecting that anyway.

Dave Saalsaa