[LRflex] Re: It's here (Neil)

  • From: Steve Barbour <steve.barbour@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: liste leica reflex <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Neil Gould <neil@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2015 20:52:23 -0700

On Oct 23, 2015, at 8:32 PM, Neil <neil@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi David,

From: David Young <dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2015
07:05:19 -0700 Subject: [LRflex] Re: It's here (Neil)

G'Mornin' Neil!

There is a "middle ground" between the R5 and the Nokia. As any
regular reader of this list knows, I have switched from Leica to Oly
- specifically the E-M1, and I have put together an "air travel kit",
that is small, light and remarkably capable.

Yes, I've watched this, and am also considering "switching *back* to
Olympus", since my first serious SLR was an OM-1 that I bought in the early
'70s. In addition to a couple of OM-1s, I also have an OM-4 and various Oly
lenses, some of which are very good. I have long appreciated the innovations
that Olympus brought to the market.

As far as digitals go, I have a Nikon and a Canon, neither of which are
working well enough at this point to take them on our trip next year. My
experience with them is the main reason why I have soured on digital cameras
as practical investments, but the full story is too long to go into, even if
someone really cared. Suffice it to say that my best in-hand choices are film
cameras, the R5 and a fairly complete Rolleiflex 6008i kit (which is way to
bulky to consider).

I even thought of selling it all and getting an S2, but that's too crazy to
even think about (or, as the Swedes might say, "That's totally Texas")! I
still have a few months before having to make the final decision, and who
knows what that will be? At this point, I sure don’t.

hi Neil and David,

please allow me to chime in with my 2 cents. I have followed this thread. Feel
you should certainly go with a camera, and feel, like David, given all the pros
and cons, you would love the Oly E-M1 with the Oly Zuiko Pro Zoom 12-40mm f
2.8 PRO. perhaps this body and lens will suffice.

It’s a great setup/combo, I have one myself, truly wonderful for price,
travel, quality, speed, you will love it.

have fun,

Steve

best regards,

Neil