[LRFlex] Introductions/Douglas Sharp

  • From: Muhammad Chishty <applemac97@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: LeicaReflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 19:16:08 -0700 (PDT)

<<From: "Douglas M. Sharp"
<DouglasMSharp@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Hello and welcome Richie,
Being there is one part of it, having the equipment is
another, andbeing able to "see" a prospective image
yet another.
Don't be awed by other peoples' shots, learn from them
and ask yourself "Why can't I do that?". I agree, Doug
Herr is an absolutely brilliant bird photographer, and
that some of his work is "awe-inspiring". Leave the
awe out of it and just let yourself be inspired, and
don't let yourself be scared out of trying the same
kind of stuff with your own style. Someone once said
that plagiarism is one of the highest compliments that
can be paid to an artist (or somethingvery  similar),
so don't hold back.
I ,personally, will try virtually anything as a
subject matter and only when I have first proved to
myself that I can't get anywhere near to what any
other photographer I admire has done (is doing)
without losing my own photographic "signature", then I
might just start thinking about giving up on that
subject and try something else. Good luck and good
images to you
Douglas>>

Hi Douglas!

Thanks for the encouraging words.  As an amateur
photographer without any pressure to produce
marketable work, I have the luxury of photographing
whatever catches my eye.

I do find inspiration in other photographers' work.  I
have a large collection of photography books, and
regularly visit online sites where images are posted.

I don't have a film scanner at present, but will get
one soon.  Then I will post images for members to see.

Regards,

Richie
    www.horizon.bc.ca/~dnr/lrflex.htm