[LRFlex] Re: Introductions

  • From: Douglas Herr <telyt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 15:17:32 -0700 (PDT)

Richie Chishty <applemac97@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I am indebted to Doug Herr for giving me
> much needed advice about Leica SLR cameras and lenses.
>
> I then became a Leica addict!

Are you sure you want to thank me? ;-)
I am indebted to Richie for telling me of the 280 APO-Telyt his friend was
selling.  This lens is well on the way to displacing the 400mm f/6.8 as my
all-time favorite most-used don't-leave-home-without-it lens.

> I like using all manual mechanical cameras like the
> Leicas.

As do I.  I've tried a few electronical cameras and while they do the job well
they didn't give me the sensory feedback I'd become accustomed to from
mechanical Leicas.  Not only do I like the results I get from the SL, I enjoy
using it too.  With the booming popularity of digital cameras the chances of a
new mechanical Leica reflex seem slim-to-none but I'd welcome a Leicaflex SL3
if Leica were to produce it.

I now have a small fleet of Leicaflexes which I use as interchangeable film
backs for the Telyts.  The latest three SLs were purchased as wrecks.  One is
clearly a parts donor for the other two; one of these two was completely jammed
when it fell into my hands but is now functional; I can't claim to be as much
of a tinkerer as Art but mechanical gizmos fascinate me and I get a rush out of
figuring them out enough to make broken ones work again.  The other jammed SL
is destined for a friend who has 'seen the light' and wants a Leicaflex SL.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com
    www.horizon.bc.ca/~dnr/lrflex.htm