[LRflex] Re: Interesting info for digitographers

  • From: Andy Wagner <yxandy2001@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 14:14:07 -0800 (PST)

Interesting comment!
Do we know how the DMR stacks up in this comparison?
I remember reading somewhere that the problem Leica was having with introducing
a digital back was because the angle of light hitting the perimeter pixals was
causing havoc with sharpness. Also pixels sensitivity to light and the way they
interprate colors varys with the same angle.

LONG LIVE THE SL's :-))
Douglas Sharp <douglas.sharp@xxxxxx> wrote:
In the latest issue of ColorFoto (Germany) there's an interesting
article about the limitations of digital cameras at certain lens apertures.
It's all to do with refraction and pixel sizes, Airy disk size or
Fraunhofer circles of diffraction - the main article is pretty much
physics/optical theory but the list of cameras and limiting apertures is
interesting.

What it boils down to is - it's not worth stopping down to get a sharper
image any further than the apertures shown below, it just won't increase
sharpness, in fact it will get unsharp.
(NOT DOF, that, of course, will increase)

Camera/aperture
Canon EOS 1Ds Mk II 11.8
Canon EOS 1D Mk II 13.4
Nikon D70 12.9
Fujifilm S3 Pro 12.5
Canon EOS 20 D 10.6
Sigma SD10 15.0
4/3 cameras 9.0

And it gets worse for compacts.

It finally explains why my macro shots with f16 were not as pin-sharp as
those with f8.
Douglas

Regards
YXAndy