[LRFlex] Re: Indexing Negatives (was statistics)

  • From: "Gary Pinkerton" <gpinkcp@xxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 11:42:44 -0500

Rolls of Kodachrome are numbered by date/subject and listed in a small notebook with film type, lens, camera,etc.
After processing, they are edited and then sorted/catalogued by subject and then by date.
Then they go into Logan metal boxes. If I want to project them, I'll pull out groups of 40 and use a Kodak stack loader.
I get really lazy after taking the pics, so I'm way behind in catalogueing and sorting. At least I have the initial info in the small notebook to track down un-edited slides.
The shoebox system has "worked'' for prints for a long time for me. My wife though, bless her, has begun to sort these and put into photo books/albums, otherwise I'm sure I'd never do it.

From: David Young <dnr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [LRFlex] Indexing Negatives (was statistics)
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 08:32:15 -0700

Xavier wrote:

Er, well, it's about 3 rolls a week since start of the year. You beat me by far.

Actually, I'm ahead of me, too. Typically, I shoot 100 to 130 rolls per year.

I know how many rolls I shoot, because I catalogue all my photos in a very simple manner...

Year - Roll - Frame. Each roll is put in an envelope with a able where I write the date, camera, and film tag number. I also have 5 or 6 lines where I write the basic content of the roll.

This makes it very easy to locate almost any roll. For instance, my Pine Siskin, currently the featured photo on my web site, is 04-57-11.

BTW: The film tag is that small numbered sticky label that the film labs put on the end of the roll to keep track of which film belongs to which envelope. By noting it on the label, I can easily return the negatives to the correct envelope when I order reprints, or find the proper home if they somehow get mixed up.

This answer has got me wondering... how do the rest of you catalogue your shots? Jumbled in a shoe box (like I used to do!) or a system more sophisticated than mine?

David Young,     | égalité, liberté,
Victoria, CANADA | fraternité et Beaujolais.

Personal Web-site at:
        http://www.horizon.bc.ca/~dnr
Leica Reflex Forum web-page:
        http://www.horizon.bc.ca/~dnr/lrflex.htm