[LRflex] Re: IMGs: New Metal Work by Dan Nauman with M (240) and various R lenses

  • From: David Young <dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2014 13:24:30 -0700

Hi George.  Mine is a calibrated monitor, so should (operative word, here, is
"should".) be good.

I make a screen shot of your 11 small images and sent them to Bill, via private
mail, as he said your images looked good on his screens.   He tells me that the
screen shot also looks good on his monitors.

On mine, they still vary widely, so I'm going to have to find out what's up
with my monitor.  Sorry, if I maligned your images.  :-(

--
David

"Otheries" are the new "Selfies".

> On Jul 31, 2014, at 11:56 PM, David Young wrote:
>
>> Nice metalwork by Dan.  Nice shots, by you. Seriously, nice
>> compositions, and exposure, to beautifully catch both the candlelight
>> and the candle/holder combination.
>>
>> I find the inconsistencies in the backgrounds, both for colour and
>> apparent noise, to be disconcertng - especially between 300, 301 &
>> 302, all of which are almost identical and (according to the Exif
>> data) were shot with the same lens/ISO & exposure. Yet they have
>> wildly differing backgrounds.
>>
>> I would not expect such differences - in almost any camera, let alone
>> a Leica. Am I seeing a difference in the lighting, or what?
>>
>> David.
>>
>>> c & c always welcome and appreciated
>>>
>>> First "commercial" shoot with M
>>> using 60 mm Elmarit-R, 100 mm Apo-Elmarit, 50 mm Summicron-R
>>>
>>> <http://george-lottermoser.smugmug.com/ClientsArtsandCrafts/Dan-
>>> Nauman/Altar-Candlesticks/43299406_SzSnBC#!i=3426680935&k=KsJQxpr>
>>>

> Not sure how you've set your monitor...
> though I'd imagine it to be quite "bright."
>
> There is intentional variation in both exposure and post processing in
> the 300, 301 and 302.
> Though far more subtle than "wildly differing" in my reading. The
> backgrounds are within a few points in each of the rgb channels.
>
> I do these exposure and post variations in order for the artisan and
> myself to determine how he/we'd like the metal to appear.
>
> Regards,
> George Lottermoser
>
> http://www.imagist.com
> http://www.imagist.com/blog