[LRflex] Re: IMGs: Happy Friday: flowers (with 15 mm Super Elmar for Vick)

  • From: <tedgrant@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 11:13:15 -0700

George Lottermoser showed:
Subject: [LRflex] IMGs: Happy Friday: flowers (with 15 mm Super Elmar for
Vick)

> <http://www.imagist.com/blog/?p=3675>

Hi George,
Very interesting indeed simply because you're using the 15mm as a macro
lens. I've noticed other posts indicating they'd never thought of doing
that. When I read a comment like that it indicates ... "this photographer
has never taken each of his lenses and used them at closest focus point just
to learn what it can do.Or at each aperture to see the effect? "

When I had my f3.5 15mm Leica lens I used it on many occasions in this
fashion to create different looking tourism type photos while on assignment.
And how did I learn the completely different looking images it made?

As I did with any new lens, I shot a bunch of rolls of film to see what kind
of effects I could get from wide open to completely stopped down. At various
apertures and focusing distances. ERGO: you learn what you can squeeze out
of this expensive piece of glass you just purchased.

If one buys a new lens and doesn't go through this routine or some version
of it, isn't one wasting  a pile of money for an untried tool ?

Just a passing thought, as obviously you have shown  a very interesting
effect others may not have thought of trying.

cheers,
ted