[LRflex] Re: IMG: beach birds

  • From: "William B. Abbott III" <wbabbott3@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 May 2008 18:39:24 -0700

Doug,

Other than the apparent (and I stress apparent) serenity of the beautiful creatures you've enabled us to see and savor, what I am impressed with is what I see in the sand beneath the image of each bird, a record of the depth of field that you were able to place just where it needed to be.

Parenthetically, my caveat about "serenity" is a personal reflection on what I suppose to be the great difficulty these small birds must have, difficulty in finding food, mates, safe nesting places, etc. just to enable them to stay alive, never mind migrations, predators, etc. They deserve our admiration and utmost care, IMHO.

Having said that, my 77 year old eyes sometimes, many times, actually, have great difficulty placing the depth of field where my brain says I want it to be, and that makes me doubly appreciative of your skill and the visual acuity that enable you to do so.

Thank you for all that you bring to us.

With all best regards,

Bill

On May 15, 2008, at 12:04 PM, wildlightphoto@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Philippe AMARD <philippe.amard@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

Is it due to the temperature? I mean the water may still be cold at this
time of day - or is it the general habit of these species to stand on
one leg (with the second half of their landing-gear retracted in the
plumage I mean)?

Habit as far as I know.  The air temperature on this morning was
comfortable. Many of the birds (a flock of about 20) would hop out of the
way on one leg when a larger wave approached rather than run.

Thanks for looking, and for the observations.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com