[LRflex] IMG: Work in progress

  • From: Doug Herr <wildlightphoto@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, LEG <leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, LeicaReflex <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2011 20:47:26 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

Owls in the wild are not easy:

http://wildlightphoto.com/birds/strigidae/wsowl01.html

This was a few minutes ago in my back yard.  R8/DMR, 280mm f/4 APO+1.4x
APO-Extender-R, tripod, flash & flashlight.

A pair of Western Screech Owls has been nesting annually in a cavity in my back
yard cottonwood tree for a number of years and I finally got off my butt and
tried to get some photos of them.  One of the adults roosts in a neighboring
tree during the day (I haven't found the roost tree yet) and flies into the
nest tree just as it's becoming impossible to see anything, calls the other
adult out off the nest hole, and takes its turn with the eggs.  The whole
process takes only a minute or so in which time I have to find the incoming
owl, find a spot with a clear view, find the bird in the camera's viewfinder,
focus and trip the shutter.  A hand-held flashlight (UK: torch) helps
immensely.  All comments welcome.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com