[LRflex] IMG: Taos Pueblo

  • From: Peter Klein <boulanger.croissant@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lug <lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2017 02:23:06 -0700

I'm back from a 10-day trip to the Southwest:  Austin, Texas for a family event, and the area around Santa Fe, New Mexico to visit friends and see the sights.  A highlight of the trip was a visit to the Taos Pueblo.  It's a Native American village constructed of adobe which claims to be the oldest continuously populated settlement in the U.S.  It's existed for about 900 years.  It feels like a time warp to the distant past, with the present intruding here and there. There's no electricity, but there are pickup trucks. Photography for personal use is allowed, with some challenges. Many areas are off limits.  One must ask permission to photograph the residents if they are closer than background. And the place is packed with tourists, who are often where you don't want them, and not where you do.  I pressed the shutter button anyway.

Here are a few scenes from the Pueblo. More to come.

I loved the shadows cast by the ramada in front of this house. I couldn't decide whether I liked B&W or color better, so you tell me.  Here's both:
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563@N04/36507080583/in/dateposted-public/>
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563@N04/37147968892/in/dateposted-public/>

Here's a view from the courtyard of iconic St. Jerome's church:
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563@N04/36507080703/in/dateposted-public/>

And the church itself:
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563@N04/37320922425/in/dateposted-public/>

Ansel Adams was here at least twice, in 1929 and 1942. The church has changed a lot since he first photographed it. Twin bell towers and a balcony have been added and the courtyard paved with flagstones. And Ansel waited until the light was illuminating the walls obliquely, bringing out the texture. My wife and friends would not stand for that...
<https://www.moma.org/collection/works/44334>

Olympus E-M5 and Panasonic 20/1.7. Enjoy!
--Peter
------
Unsubscribe or change to/from Digest Mode at:
  http://www.lrflex.furnfeather.ca/
Archives are at: