[LRflex] IMG: Taliesin West

  • From: Peter Klein <pklein@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lug <lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2012 00:06:22 -0800

While in Arizona last month, we visited Taliesin West, Frank Lloyd
Wright's winter home and architecture school on the outskirts of
Scottdale. It's a fascinating place where the design seems to grow
organically out of the surrounding desert landscape. The guided tours
are very well-presented, and I highly recommend it to anyone who visits
the Phoenix area.  Photography is welcome, except in the Wright's living
quarters, where it is not permitted. It was challenging to photograph in
the midst of a tour group, but I managed.

Native American petroglyph found by Wright's students as they were
starting to build Taliesin West. The second symbol from left especially
influenced the design of the place...
<http://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563@N04/6845251915/lightbox>
...as in this desk in Wright's study:
<http://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563@N04/6845252041/lightbox>