[LRflex] Re: IMG: River Otter

  • From: Alex Hurst <corkflor@xxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 16:39:42 +0000

Doug wrote:

I'm not thrilled about the cluttered background or how much I had to crop,
but I'm delighted that after at least 10 years of trying to photograph this
critter I've finally gotten one photo I'm willing to show:

http://wildlightphoto.com/mammals/carnivores/nrott00.html

Technical stuff:  R8/DMR @ISO 400, 560mm f/6.8, shoulder stock & monopod
Sacramento County California last weekend

I'll say what I 'otter' - it's a great shot despite Doug's reservations. His expression is something else, and the reflection is a big bonus. Just wonderful.

At the end of March we're taking a big cruiser on the Shannon with some English friends.

In six or seven cruises over the years, we've only sighted otters twice, and each time they were in the water, so not much to see or shoot. Apparently otter populations are on the increase again in Ireland, so maybe we'll be luckier this time.

I'm taking some long lenses for the wildlife, but it ain't my forte. Longest lens I can muster is a 500mm Nikkor mirror, which I find disappointing in its rendition, or alternatively in Leica glass a 280/4.8 Telyt, which is a lot better but hasn't got the reach.

Best

Alex
--
Alex & Carmel Hurst