[LRflex] Re: IMG: Raptor portraits

  • From: David Young <dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 06 May 2009 06:40:44 -0700

Doug Herr wrote:

I've got a few more photos of non-releasable raptors at the California Raptor Center at the UC Davis school of Veterinary Medicine: http://www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/calraptor/

Keep in mind these should be considered portraits of individuals and not necessarily representative of the species becaise of captive living conditions.

Sadie is an imprinted Northern Saw-whet Owl
http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/strigidae/nsow02.jpg

Athena is a Barn Owl who was rescued and brought back to health after a collision with a barbed-wire fence broke her right wing
http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/tytonidae/baow01.jpg

Spar (already posted) is an imprinted male American Kestrel, full of spunk
http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/falconidae/amke03.jpg
http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/falconidae/amke04.jpg

Annie is a female American Kestrel who is imprinted and missing her tail. She doesn't clean up well after a meal
http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/falconidae/amke05.jpg

Grasshopper is a Swainson's Hawk who has cataracts. He's a very gentle bird, easy to handle and most of the time puffs up his feathers and chills out
http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/accipitridae/swha01.jpg

Thor is a Ferruginous Hawk who collided with a Union Pacific freight train somewhere in Nevada and was discovered stuck to the front of the train barely alive when the train reached Roseville California
http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/accipitridae/feha04.jpg

Good Mornin' Doug!

Put a good camera in the hands of a photographer and you get wonderful photos.

Put that same camera in the hands of a master, and you get the above.

I love 'em all, Doug, but Sadie, for me, is far and away, the best.

Thanks.

---
David Young
Logan Lake, BC