[LRflex] Re: IMG: New Gallery - Trains and lots of steam in BW

  • From: Douglas Sharp <douglas.sharp@xxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 09:04:46 +0200

Good morning Ted,
and many thanks for your kind words.

I agree, there is something about these massive machines that, although they are beautifully finished in blue, black green and red with copper and shining brass, makes them come to life in black and white.

Perhaps something to do with memories of trains I still have from when I was very small - somehow, childhood recollections always seem to be in black and white.

One picture has stuck in my mind - standing, with the typical fascination of a small boy, but holding my father's hand, next to a steam loco (at the age of 4 or 5) at Leeds City Station, and being almost frightened out of my wits by the defening wall of sound when it let off excess steam and whistled.

Before we had a car, steam trains became the precursor to good things happening - like our annual holidays or parcels arriving. But, as I mentioned, all these memories are in BW in my mind.

Is this typical, or is it the fact that our photo-album supported recollections were mainly in BW too?

Best regards from a rainy Hannover

Douglas

Ted Grant wrote:

Douglas Sharp showed:

Subject: [LRflex] IMG: New Gallery - Trains and lots of steam in BW

A new gallery almost completed - this year's colour shots of trains were so dull (it rained nearly all day), so I decided to convert them to black and white. More to come when I find time

While I was about it I added some from last year too - Hope you like them.

The gallery starts here: http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DMS/NYMR_2008_BW/<<<<<<<<< <http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DMS/NYMR_2008_BW/%3c%3c%3c%3c%3c%3c%3c%3c%3c>
Hi Douglas,

Super set of photographs! I love them in B&W as it shows a nostalgia factor much better than seeing them in colour. This is such a wonderful collection of images with feelings beyond just the photos alone, I can’t get over how they illustrate the power of B&W over colour when it comes to an era of steam locomotives.

ted