[LRflex] Re: IMG: More hairy(spiky) legs - Crab Spider revisited

  • From: Douglas Sharp <douglas.sharp@xxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2012 16:20:16 +0200

Ouch!! that makes a pristine sensor a precondition for pinhole photography.

Nothing for this neck of the woods, we have open marl and claypits not far from here and three cement works. They produce the finest, greyest, dust you've ever seen - seems to concentrate particularly on the furniture in our front room and on anything even faintly resembling a camera or lens, even when stored in cabinets.:-)

The matter of the aperture blades possibly explains why the Yashica 2.8/55 mm Macro is so good, they offer an almost perfectly round aperture

On 18.07.2012 16:02, Richard Ward wrote:
Less Sharpness @ f32 would be quite likely from Diffraction from the Aperture
Blades.
- To way over-simplify, at wider apertures the blades bend light nicely like a
good lens element, but past a certain opening size (depends on lens design,
aperture construction, sensor size etc), the blades progressively become like a
mis-having lens element.

Coincidentally ;-)

The Dust on your sensor suddenly shouting 'Hey, Look at Me!' is caused by the
narrow Aperture, too.
- At wider apertures, the light rays are coming onto the sensor from a lot of
different angles and enough slips under the edges of dust particles to either
be invisible or hidden in image details. At narrow aperutres (especially
pinhole lenses!) the lightrays have gotten very directionalized to flow in
fairly straight lines from the aperture opening sooooo the shadows of the dust
bunnies are now sharp and crisp and stand right the heck out in an image.

Trust me! My Pinhole Lens arrived and had me going all Mein Got! My sensor is
dirty. :-)

I'm sure others can give more science-y answers, maybe more accurate too! But
mine work for me as functional analogies.

RLW
  _____________________________________

My Sarcasm Fu Is Strong,
Proceed With Caution.  :-)
  _____________________________________

On Jul 18, 2012, at 6:23 AM, Douglas Sharp <douglas.sharp@xxxxxx> wrote:

Still there after three days

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DMS/album150/_MG_4312.jpg.html
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DMS/album150/_MG_4313.jpg.html
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DMS/album150/_MG_4319.jpg.html
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DMS/album150/_MG_4324.jpg.html
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DMS/album150/_MG_4327.jpg.html

It actually seems that stopping down as far as f32 reduces the sharpness to
some extent and brings out all the gunge and micro-dust on the sensor.

Must be something to do with pixel sizes or something else technical that's
beyond my comprehension.

Any way, these may be only reasonably sharp, but I think the subject is posing
very nicely on what's left of its Dahlia:-)

Cheers
Douglas