[LRflex] Re: IMG: Internment camp

  • From: Peter Klein <pklein@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2015 20:09:33 -0700

Hi, Xavier. It was odd going through the exhibit. I knew what to expect, yet it felt more than a little creepy. I have Auschwitz victims in my family tree, so anything that even remotely reminds me of that makes me feel very uneasy. Comparisons are inevitably made, who suffered the most gets debated. That is really missing the point. According to the founding documents and basic tenets of the U.S.A., the imprisonment of U.S. citizens of Japanese descent should not have happened. Racism was a one of the motivations, along with national security and the fear of a "fifth column." In war, things that are not supposed to happen inevitably *do* happen.

None of this negates the fact that people sent to camps by the Nazis or the Imperial Japanese were treated far, far worse--by orders of magnitude.

Anyway, I thought it would be interesting to explore the exhibit with my camera, just as I thought it would be interesting to hear the opera, and see how Seattle Opera handled several very hot-button issues. They did pretty well, and it was clear that their motivation was good.

--Peter