[LRflex] Re: IMG: Horned Grebe

  • From: David Young <dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 10:02:55 -0700

At 20/10/2008, you wrote:

I spent yesterday morning in the kayak on Lake Natoma in eastern Sacramento
County, a few minutes from home.  Aside from a good paddling workout I also
found the first few
wintering grebes, in this case a Horned Grebe:

http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/podicipedidae/hogr03.html

I believe this is a first-year bird because of the orange eye.  Adult
Horned Grebes have a bright red eye (photo from earlier this year):

http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/podicipedidae/hogr02.html

Superb shots, as usual, Doug!

Sadly, all our "summer" birds have left for points south, and the few winter birds are not yet here.

Although I love it here, I sometimes envy you, for where you live.