[LRflex] Re: IMG: Horned Grebe

  • From: David Young <dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 12:29:51 -0700

Doug Herr wrote:

> Although I love it here, I sometimes envy you, for where you live.

David you seem to have plenty of photo opportunities nearby.  Biggest
difference is that here the water is rarely solid, of course if I want
solid water I can go up the "hill" to the Sierra Nevada, a couple of hours
away.

Oh yes... lots of opportunities nearby, all right ... but very few from November through March, for when the water gets hard the bears are hibernating, and most of the birds have headed south. Also, when it's -15 to -30 (5 to -22 Fahrenheit), and the snow is a half meter deep, there is little enthusiasm to go out hiking, looking for the few animals and birds we do see over the winter.

Don't worry .. .I'll get over "California envy" by about mid-March! ;-)

The Horned Grebe is still a great shot!