[LRflex] IMG: Harry Lime!

  • From: Peter Klein <boulanger.croissant@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lug <lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2017 22:11:14 -0700

This zither belonged to Anton Karas, the Viennese zither player who wrote the music for "The Third Man," including the famous 'Harry Lime Theme.' It's not the actual instrument played in the film, but I'm sure that Harry's theme was played on it many times. Please, no jokes about cuckoo clocks.
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563@N04/35638309192/in/dateposted-public/>

The zither was in a very dark corner of a small, badly-lit room just outside the main collection.

This was taken in the Kunsthistoriches Museum Wien's collection of musical instruments, which has instruments dating from medieval times to the near-present. Blessedly, they allow photography as long as you don't use flash or tripod. I spent several hours there over two days photographing everything I could, with special emphasis on the woodwinds, and of course, bassoons.

--Peter
------
Unsubscribe or change to/from Digest Mode at:
  http://www.lrflex.furnfeather.ca/
Archives are at: