[LRflex] Re: IMG: Friday's flowers

  • From: Richard Ward <ilovaussiesheps@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2010 19:29:14 -0800 (PST)

Strapping on the 'Kevlar' of "c&c always welcome"!
Both of the images were Aesthetically Yucky for me.
The Technical attributes of Colors, Contrasts, Tonalities, etc were terrific -
Maybe converting to Black & White would raise them even higher, but that would
be an arguable point because the muted color pallette seems appropriate for the
subject of decaying flowers.
It's the Composition and the Content choices of the two images which I find
troubling.

The exceptionally strong shadow being cast to the left of the flowers whispers
to me as a viewer "Flash Usage Failure" and the strong placement of that harsh
shadow in the composition amplifies that whisper to a shout.
It is Definitely Unfair that countless bad flash photographs taken by endless
'picture takers' have polluted Humanitiy's Collective Photographic Lexicon, but
such is the plight of our art form.
Yet, even if I discount that part of the equation, I'm still left thinking the
section of the photograph taken up by the 'wall' and the 'shadow' of the
flowers
doesn't balance especially gracefully with the flowers. Rather than serving as
an accent to the subtle decay of the flowers, they are a high contrast
counterpoint to their aesthetics both in lighting and in content.

It's possible I'm irretrievably biased from 4+ years spent printing awful
photographs in a One-Hour Photolab.

If my C&C is Off Base, I request Mercy based on 4+ years of torture via
'Disposable Camera' Aesthetics!

Quite Sincerely,
Richard in Michigan

[---Arsenic Based Life Form, Huh? What Will They Think Of Next:---]
[---Canal Digging With Nuclear Bombs? Wait! Already Invented!----]