[LRflex] IMG: Family Kodachromes, 1950-53

  • From: Peter Klein <pklein@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lug <lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2016 12:56:04 -0800

I've posted 20 "new" pictures--recently copied slides from my late mother's collection. These are pictures of my parents, my mother's family and their friends, c. 1950-53, before I came on the scene. Start here, and click on the left side of the picture for the "previous" 19 pictures.
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563@N04/24864974880/in/dateposted-public/>

My Mom got her camera in 1949. She shot one roll of Plus-X, then started using Kodachrome and never looked back. She shot a Bolsey B2 rangerfinder with a 44mm f/3.2 Wollensak Anastigmat lens and leaf shutter. I still have it. Remember that pre-1961, Kodachrome film was ASA 10. Except in bright sunlight, fairly slow exposure times had to be used. I had to go through lots of blurred slides to find a few reasonably sharp ones show here.

I just got a Nikon ES-1 slide copier attachment for my camera. I connected it to my Olympus E-M5 via a couple of step-up rings, a 28/2.8 Olympus OM manual focus lens from the 80s, a rickety 13mm extension tube and a strip of masking tape to fasten the extension tube to the lens and neutralize said ricketiness. Theoretically, the 28mm OM lens shouldn't be good enough to act as a macro lens, but in practice, it appears to be. It doesn't quite resolve the film grain, but the pictures are quite good enough for screen viewing. And it's *so* much quicker and easier than using a film scanner. I may spring for a real micro 4/3 macro lens, or I may not. These look pretty darn good to me.

Enjoy!
--Peter

------
Unsubscribe or change to/from Digest Mode at:
  http://www.lrflex.furnfeather.net/
Archives are at: