[LRflex] Re: IMG: Cello master class, using blur

  • From: David Young <dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 May 2015 20:51:12 -0700

Hi Peter!

I have to agree with Andy. The bow blur in the second shot makes it, but the
player on the right is a total distraction.

David

I'm always trying to convey the physicality of music-making in my still
photographs of musicians. With string players, one obvious method is to
slow the shutter so as to catch some blur in the bowing or the fingers.
But how much? Too little, and it looks like a mistake. Too much, and
it's mush. I felt like maybe I'd hit the "Goldilocks" ("just right")
spot with this one, and I like how the two bows form a "V." What do you
think?
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563@N04/17584386211/>

Then there's this one. I like the bow blur of this one most of all the
shots I took. But I maybe messed up the framing. Does it still work,
or is it an "almost?"
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/music/peledmasterclass/P5100318.jpg.html>

Thanks for looking. Enjoy!
--Peter