[LRflex] Re: I need some advice

  • From: David Young <dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2009 06:14:30 -0700

At 4/18/2009, you wrote:
I know that some members of this forum are using their Leica R lenses on other digital bodies, either by modifying the mounts or using adaptors.

I find myself at a cross road and would like some advice, I am about to upgrade my digital camera and get a full frame digital, I currently have a Nikon D70 but the current Nikon full frame cameras are a bit too expensive at present. My son hopes to get the D70 and lenses so I will be starting from scratch as it were.

What full frame digital body would people recommend? It is to be used with Leica R lenses via an adaptor (so I can still use the lenses on my R6.2) I am considering either a Canon 5D or a Sony A700.

Has anyone any thoughts on these? I am interested in landscapes, macros and wildlife photography.

Regards

Brendan

Good morning Brendan!

The Sony (Minolta) cameras, like the Nikons and most cameras, have a bigger "registration" - that is, the distance from the film/sensor plane, to the lens flange - and Leica lenses will not focus to infinity, on either one.

However, for Nikon, you can now purchase DIY mounts, which replace the Leica lens flange with a Nikon one. (The converted lenses can be switched back to Leica mount, quite easily, at a later date, should you so wish.) Such a mount is not yet available for Sony.

At this point in time, the only choices for Leica glass, other than on a Leica, are Canon (via adapters), Olympus (via adapters) or Nikon (via a new lens mount). For full frame use, the Nikons seem to be the best. The Olympus is the best (2x crop factor) if you wish "long glass", but the worst for w/a use. The Canons are in the middle, with both FF and 1.6 crop factor models, but as been pointed out, they have issues with exposure, when stopped down, as well as mirror clearance problems with some lenses.

Hope this helps.

David Young
Logan Lake, BC

Wildlife Photos: www.furnfeather.net