[LRflex] I gotta crow...

  • From: Peter Klein <boulanger.croissant@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lug <lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2020 18:05:31 -0800

A couple of days ago, I received two beautiful compliments about my photography.  You've seen some of the pictures I took at the Israeli wedding I attended back in October.  Both the bride and the groom sent me very nice notes thanking me.  The groom said my photos were "so natural."  The bride was "not very pleased" with the professional photographer's work. She absolutely loved mine. She said that my pictures took her back to the happy moments of the wedding, and she couldn't stop looking at them.

Now, it's possible that I know more about how to deal with difficult available light.  But the official photographer and his two(?) assistants weren't well equipped.  They had big Nikon DSLRs (I think 850s) with big zooms, LCD panels and bounce flashes complete with eye catchlight cards.  Their gear supposedly outclassed my micro 4/3 camera in speed and light-gathering power.

I think I know the real reason.  When I photograph a wedding, then yes, I do try to get the key moments. But I mostly look for people's emotions, for moments and compositions that show the connections and interactions between people. The professionals probably approach the event like news photographers, with some occupational distance. I don't do that. I feel the love, and I try to put that into my pictures.

This is the latest of several times where I friend or relative has told me they preferred my wedding pictures to the hired professional's. So I guess I must be doing something right. While I'm always looking to improve my technique, technique and equipment is not really what it's about.

--Peter
------
Unsubscribe or change to/from Digest Mode at:
  http://lrflex.furnfeather.ca/
Archives are at: