[LRflex] Re: How NOT to ride a Brahma Bull...

  • From: David Young <dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 08:02:09 -0700

Steve Barbour wrote:

http://www.furnfeather.net/Temps/Ride4.htm

a perfectly wonderful ad for wranglers, even better than the other
one...here we can see that no matter what happens,

the crotch doesn't split...

I'll be sure to point that out to Wrangler....  :-)

say David, I always wanted to ask, this seems like the perfect
time...how often does someone get killed in this "sport" ?

Hi Steve!

Not often, though it does happen. Running with the Bulls, in Pamplona is, I think, more dangerous.

However, serious injuries are common... and the cowboys get pretty bruised up, every rodeo.

There is a move afoot, in both Canada and the US to sell "naming rights" to sports venues... the owners get big money in return for the advertising value in "GM Place" or the "Save-on-Foods Center".

Still, I was surprised to find that several of the bulls (specialized stock which travel from rodeo to rodeo, with the circuit) have recently had their names changed as a result of their "naming rights" being sold to help cover the expenses of one cowboy who has just spent 8 months in hospital, from injuries sustained while Bull Riding. Although the rides were just as good, the announcement of "Larry Sape ... riding Mr. Roto-Rooter" somehow doesn't have the same "ring" to it as "Larry Sape ...riding Red Devil!". ;-)

Larry Sape, BTW, is not a bull rider. But he is a friend, an Alberta cowboy and a two time Canadian Team Roping Champion. I just needed a name....