[LRflex] Re: Houston - Irescolor - All

  • From: Steve Barbour <kididdoc@xxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 08:49:10 -0700

On Oct 28, 2008, at 3:19 AM, AMARD philippe wrote:

All,
Here are just a few remarks and thoughts, calling for reactions, but certainly not meant to get into polemics, at all.

I've read Linda's posts, and viewed her photos.
I've also answered her on and off list, and read all your answers.
If I may be honest, what I feel is that we are all uneasy with her contributions, and certainly with her questions.
I do hope you won't resent my post, Linda.

As a preamble, let's mark that Linda is the only one photographer on this list who posts portraits that are deliberately posed in the old photographic tradition. And so doing she pushes most of us, who in the Leica tradition prefer unstaged and caught live "snaps", to (re?)consider what the "art" or "trade" is about. This in my opinion is a great contribution to the list. And she does put the stakes very high with her expectations. Can we deliver?

Maybe I am wrong but I feel this is where we also collectively run the risk of leading Linda in a direction she initially did not intend to take - sort of formatting to conform a majority.
Mind you, I'm part of that process, knowingly, yet unwillingly.

I find a lot of potential in her endeavour, and she's lucky enough to have models. At least, I wish I was that lucky. Yet, I am at a loss, everyone has their limitations, when it comes to really helping her develop in HER direction. And my message is more a call for help than anything else.

but let's stop here and ask again...what are Linda's portraits for?

are they for us? are they very fine passport photos? are they to be framed portraits for the family piano?

are they for a book? are they for a job? what kind of job?

and on and on....

only Linda can answer...once she finds the answer, at least part of a solution will begin to emerge...

in the meantime, one book I strongly recomend is An Inner Silence... Portraits by HCB...

thanks Linda for without a doubt, raising these important questions in everyone's mind, Steve

Should she have a look at ancient photographs?
Should she stop using PS?
Should she select more? And along which criteria?
These questions have been answered, in part. Yet, have we reconsidered our standards when answering?

More interestingly, are these the answers she needs to expand and improve on a personal plane? I mean, Linda is seeking friendly advice OK, and I feel somewhat frustrated that I can't provide her with more valuable insight than "this works for me", or "that doesn't". Why? mainly for fear of her losing her personal potential, and photographic soul.

This may all seem confused and confusing. Sorry if it is so.
Thanks for your kind attention and answers.

Over to you fellow listers.
Philippe, the happy Sunday snapper in rainy Strasbourg.