[LRflex] Re: Hornby

  • From: "David Young" <dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Richard Ward" <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2011 15:04:41 -0700

In a message dated 28/06/2011, Richard Ward said ...

> Very Nice.
> The background blur is a little more visually active than would be best imo,
> but one can't always control how the lens and any given terrain are going to
> interact.

> I'd call it 4 1/2 stars rather than 5 :-)

> I am startled a bit by your comment that it's a stiff crop of the original
> file,
> hats off to Olympus for that!
> Richard

Hi Richard!

That's a fair comment.  And "active" is an interesting, yet effective word
to describe the background.

In fact, it's a pebbled, rocky beach.  Had the tide been in, it would have
been a nice, even-ish blue background... but when the tide was there, the
eagle wasn't!

I just went back and looked at the original shot.  What you've seen is
about 1/6th of the original frame.   The vertical was cropped from a
horizontal shot, and the height you see, is about 2/3rds the height of the
frame.

The detail isn't the best, but I like the shot.  Thus, your 4.5 out of 5 is
fair.   Given [a] a zoom lens and [b] a 1.4 converter and [c] the level of
crop, I think it's pretty good, on a technical level.

Thanks for taking the time to look, and to comment.

David.
--
David Young - Photographer
Logan Lake, CANADA