[LRflex] Re: Herman's Canon-R question

  • From: "Aram Langhans" <leica_r8@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 08:32:35 -0800

Herman

I cannot comment directly on the 5DII, but on Canon in general.  I have used
R glass on a few Rebels, a 20D, 40D an a 5D.

Adapters.  I have used a variety of the cheap adapters from E-xxx and have
not had a problem with any of them.  I have 4.  Maybe the more expensive
ones are better made, but none of these cheap ones have failed me.  They all
fit firmly, no lens play at all, other than perhaps rotational, but no more
than with the Canon lens I had, or the Tokina and Sigma I have now.  So my
advice is to not waste your money on an expensive adapter.

Focus confirmation chip - by all means, get an adapter that has a FC chip.
Especially if your eyes are over 50 years old.

Metering - This is the downfall of the Canon-R system.  Meters fine wide
open, but fails to respond in a linear fashion as you stop down.   If you
always use the same f-stop, you can program the compensation into the camera
(+/- control) and not have a problem.  If you use different f-stops to suite
the scene, you must make adjustments all the time.  Here is my workflow...

I choose to use A mode when using a Canon mount lens and let the camera do
the work.
I choose to use M mode when using R glass.  I meter wide open, then stop
down to the f-stop I want and slow the shutter down the appropriate amount,
ignoring what the meter says.  If I stop down from f-2 to f-4, I will then
change the shutter two equivalent settings, say from 1/250 to 1/60.

Why do I do this?  I use to try A mode with R glass but ran into a few
problems.

A different +/- was needed for each f-stop
Sometimes the 2 stop limit of +/- on my Rebel was not enough if I stopped
down a lot.
When I would then switch to Canon mount glass, I would forget to null the
+/- and have underexposed shots.

By using A for Canon mount glass, and always having the +/- at zero, I never
have to remember to null this.  Just switch to A for Canon mount glass and M
for R glass.  Only exception is if I am using R glass for a lot of shots
under different lighting but I know I am not changing f-stops.  Kind of P&S
sessions.  But I really have to remember to null the +/- when I am done.

Hope this  helps in your decision.

Aram