[LRflex] Help received- photographic terminology

  • From: Douglas Sharp <douglas.sharp@xxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, LEG <leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Leica Users Group <lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, MUG <MUGers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2007 01:21:31 +0100

Thanks to everyone for helping - really too many of you to mention
everyone by name.
The Denkzettel in the sense of a "shot across the bows", "something to
think about" or a "warning for evermore" I am familiar with after 30
years of work over here in Hannover - had enough of them from my old
boss (a Greek tyrant) :-)

The big problem you keep coming up against when you're a translator is
when some advertising or marketing geek picks up a word and uses it in a
totally foreign context (as here) - they do it in English and German all
the time - it's pretty obvious what is "meant" ( A list of things to do
- and all hell be upon you if you don't - and that's why you signed it
on the bottom line). I just couldn't find it anywhere in a photographic
context.

Anyway, now I have a whole bunch of useful alternatives, from highly
technical to colloquial - thanks again everybody, both on-list and off -
what a wonderful bunch of people!!

Douglas
G2E Translations in Hannover, Germany