[LRflex] Hasselblad X-Pan, the panoramic "M" ?

  • From: LEICAFLEX <leicaflex@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 08:56:30 -0800

Dear Philippe & David,
Thanks for both of your kind feedback as always.

Philippe, I haven't left the 35mm format for good; still love the
brightnesss of the SL/SL2 viewfinder like Doug, and the timeless
design & reliability of a Leica M coupled with the stellar optical
performance of a Summicron 35/2 to tout around for street shooting.
The X-Pan is for me still a 'divertissement' from regular MF and 35mm.
 I am wondering if I should keep it or not, and those shots were my
2nd to 4th rolls through it.  It has a switch that brings one right
back to the regular 35mm frame so that it is like a clunkier Konica
Hexar RF (except the Hexar RF takes M lenses).  IMHO, unfortunately
the slow speed of the lenses reduce its versatality compared to a M
camera. The Panoramic format uses about 2 frame-lengths (1.8X to be
more precise) of 35mm film.  I guess just cropping a 6X6/6X7 or 6X4.5
horizontal frame shot with a rather pricey MF super-wide angle lens
would bring one to an approx. similar field of view and resolution,
but the weight/bulk of the equipment would be heftier.  I think the X
Pan is a MF camera in the guise of a Leica rangefinder, and more for
studied compositions rather than the fast 'M-response'.

About the kimono's - coincidentally it was a special Sunday for
parents to bring their kids to Narita-san in traditional kimono
get-ups.  I saw a child's young uncle take pictures with a Leica IIIf
+ external viewfinder for what must have been a Voigtlander LTM
portrait lens, while his parents were shooting with digital SLR &
digital point-'n-shoot.  This young man must be part of the so-called
Japanese Rangefinder Renaissance :-).

About the light in the forest - it was late morning and the rain
clouds had just started moving away.  I handheld at either 1/30 or
1/15 - don't remember exactly.  A couple of hours after that shot,  I
was boarding my flight at Narita to return to San Francisco
International Airport.  A week or two later and back on the home
computer, I used curves in Photoshop to lighten some shadow areas.

David, I had to sharpen 'Kimono Curiosity' in post-processing because
tha XPan has no OIS ;-0 !   He was posing through this verandah for
his father shooting from the ground level, while I had to quickly run
up a flight of steps to steal the shot.

Thanks again for all your comments.
Eric

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2006 23:13:18 +0100
From: Philippe Amard <phamard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [LRflex] Re: Hasselblad X-Pan, the panoramic "M" ?

Hi Eric,

very nice shots and, fear not, excellent rendition of the scans - at
least on my computer.
I do like the format, much better than my new 4/3 indeed - did it take
you long to get out of the 24x36 habit? I am asking because I haven't
got rid of it myself yet.

The kimonos are superb - and what a light in the wood!

Congratulations Eric, and please, keep shooting film and posting for our
pleasure.

Long live film as you wrote it in the previous post. And God save digital.

Yours
Phileicangemix.

------------------------------
------------------------------

Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 07:45:31 -0800
From: David Young <telyt@xxxxxxxxx>

Eric showed:

>Talking about scanned C41 films, here are results from scanned
>Fujicolor 200 taken using the 90/4 lens made by Fuji on the Hasselblad
>X-Pan in normal mode:
>
>http://www.fujirangefinder.com/document.php?id=3820
>http://www.fujirangefinder.com/document.php?id=3823
>
>and the 45/4 lens in normal mode:
>http://www.fujirangefinder.com/document.php?id=3770
>http://www.fujirangefinder.com/document.php?id=3769
>(latter was posted before on this list)
>
>Here are more examples taken in the X-Pan's Panoramic mode with the 45/4:
>
>http://www.fujirangefinder.com/document.php?id=3775
>http://www.fujirangefinder.com/document.php?id=3776
>
>http://www.fujirangefinder.com/document.php?id=3764
>http://www.fujirangefinder.com/document.php?id=3800
>http://www.fujirangefinder.com/document.php?id=3802
>
>Comments and critiques always welcome!

Good Morning, Eric!

Nice shots, all of them.  I really liked "Kimono Curiosity", but
they're all good.

Thanks for sharing.