[LRFlex] Re: Happy Snaps: Spike's Breakfast

  • From: Douglas Herr <telyt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 15:50:26 -0800 (PST)

>>> http://www.wildlightphoto.com/mammals/spike.jpg<<<<

> Hi Doug,
> But is this not an asset to the lens? It's super shallow depth keeps
> otherwise "sharp objects" out of focus so they do not distract from the main
> subject? Plus a faster lens and as you say, allows for slower ASA films.
> ERGO: better reproductions.

a definite YES.  Particularly in the forest environment where uncluttered
backgrounds DON'T EXIST.  I like having a suggestion of the environment in the
background but quite often at f/6.8 the BG is so cluttered that it overwhelms
the subject.  With the f/2.8 lens I have a choice: big aperture to wipe out the
background or small aperture to show more of it.

> So do you find better or not so better out of focus areas with the 400 2.8
> wide open?

Aside from the bigger aperture I find the 2.8's bokeh to be quite good so from
an optical point of view this lens is a winner.  The things I don't like about
it are the weight, the ergonomics and the tactile feedback.  But getting f/2.8
in something as light as the f/6.8 Telyts won't happen, and getting a better
ergonomic design or tactile feedback anywhere near the price I paid is wishful
thinking.  If I were getting paid well enough for my photos there's no question
I'd be looking for a Leica 400mm f/2.8 APO or maybe even a modular Telyt but
for my use and the revenue stream I expect from it the Canon is great.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com
    www.horizon.bc.ca/~dnr/lrflex.htm