[LRflex] Re: Hand Baggage - Three Questions

  • From: Andy Wagner <yxandy2001@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 15:38:30 -0700 (PDT)

Dazvid
  As I said before once the knee jerk reactions have settled down you will see
more restrictions being lifted. I would check on an almost daily basis as to
restrictions. By the way, if you think your head is spinning you should see
what it's like for us in the industry!! :-)
David Young <telyt@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  Andy Wagner said:

>I agree with those who suggest packing gear and checking it, but some
>airlines have restrictions on the number of bags one can check.

and then Elliot responded:

>I agree Andy, and thanks. I just heard that some airlines are also
>temporarily increasing the weight allowances.

Depending on how much you wish to carry, the problem may be solved.
As of today (at Heathrow - late yesterday at Gatwick, Stanstead and
others) limited cabin baggage is now allowed. You are now allowed
one (1) piece to a maximum size of: 16cm x 35cm x 45 cm (6.2" x 13.7"
x 17.7") including all wheels, straps, pockets, etc.

In my stash of bags (one can never have too many!) I've come across
the Lowepro Omni Traveler, which is a mere 15 x 26cm x 38cm, so it's
well within the limits, and it will hold, with a little foam, the R8,
DMR, 21/4SA, 50/2, 80~200/4 and 2x as well as a storage device and
the assorted chargers, cords, memory cards and filters.

It will be useless as a camera bag (though it served well in Costa
Rica, with the smaller 20D Canon) as it cannot hold the R8 with a
lens, let alone with the DMR! But it will hold all the gear, safely
enough for hand carrying! (My regular bag will go inside a checked
bag, filled with clothes, of course!)

Though I'd check my gear, if need be, I'd much rather carry it, where
I know it's secure!

Now, so long as they don't go back to "no cabin baggage", I, and
others traveling soon, should be just fine!

BTW... the baggage handlers in the UK work wonders under
stress! British Airways flights delivered 10,000 bags to
destinations where their owners could only dream of going! They got
caught in security in the UK and did not make their flights, even
though their bags did! http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/4795821.stm

Limited Edition Prints at: http://www.telyt.com/
Personal Web-site at: http://www3.telus.net/~telyt

Regards